Lehigh Valley History: The Liberty Bell
It’s no surprise that the Lehigh Valley is teeming with history. This region is home to tons of landmarks that hold a significance in the American narrative. From Lehigh Valley Structural Steel to the Lehigh River Canals, and entire towns named after famous historic figures like Jim Thorpe– in the Lehigh Valley you’re always a stones throw away from something meaningful. With the Fourth of July just around the corner we, at Jaindl Properties, have been reflecting on the history of the area, and wanted to bring to light an incredible tidbit of knowledge that not many are aware of- Allentown once housed the Liberty Bell!
In September 1777, after the British won the Battle of Brandywine, Philadelphia prepared for an attack in which they rendered themselves defenseless. In turn, they decided to remove the Liberty Bell, their symbol of Independence, so it would not be melted down into ammunition to use on the British. Therefore, they disassembled their beloved bell and carefully transported it via wagon to Bethlehem at which point locals moved it to Allentown (at the time called Northampton Town) and hid it beneath the floors at the German Zion Reform Church. It was stowed away safely only for 8 months before it was returned to Philadelphia in June of 1778. However, it was not rehung until several years later in 1785. Today, in Center City Allentown, a replica of the Liberty Bell is housed at Liberty Bell Museum inside the Zion Reformed United Church of Christ, at 6th and Hamilton Streets.